Thursday, April 15, 2010

Why We Went To California In The First Place.


Here at the Renee and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall, one of the finest pieces of music I've ever heard was performed for the first time ever. It's called "Messiah in America," an oratorio composed and conducted by Brett Stewart. Truly this was a once in a lifetime chance to hear something so beautiful sung by such an amazing choir as the Orange County Mormon Choral Organization (of which Meygen's mother Jennifer is a major part of). The name may not be easy to remember (we know them as OCMCO), but you'll never forget them once you've heard their glorious voices praising our Father in Heaven in the best way I know how, through song.

The program began with many of the organization's youth and children's choirs singing the children's songs and hymns we all know and love. Then the "Messiah in America" program began. If you're wondering what the oratorio is all about, just read 3rd Nephi and you'll know exactly how special and important this music is and how deeply it touched our hearts. I left the concert hall that night feeling so much peace and happiness because I knew that the message in the music was true and that this message must be taught throughout the world. It was so much fun to see Jennifer in the midst of those angelic voices that make this wonderful choir and I hope the CD comes out soon so we can relive that moment over and over again. I've never heard such a wonderful performance in my life, and I'd venture to say that even Handel's Messiah would have to compete for its place as best oratorio ever written.



1 comment:

Jessie said...

absolutely beautiful pictures. I wish I could hear the oratorio! Is there a recording out?